Friday 15 February 2013

Unsocially Social



At the end of Val’s day: February 14 2013, Linda Ikeji broke the news that Goldie had passed on and that Denrele called her… bla  bla check the rest on her blog.
 
Then I moved to twitter and of course the world had gone viral with the news. I was upset because only recently my friend lost her very dear uncle and none of her siblings called to tell her or even sent a text to her. She just woke up to find that they had all changed their BBM display pictures and their status messages were all kinds of bidding him farewell.

 Rude shock is an understatement.

What a way to find out that someone so dear to you has gone finally by death.
 I think it’s cold, insensitive and adds to the pain.
They don’t even give you a moment to grieve or say goodbye, but *sigh* that’s the reality of the age we live today.

 If this had happened 10 years ago they would have had to run to the newspaper house who would then decide if it was worth printing that morning or the next day but today we have gone digital, we have gone social.

Sometimes it’s great, sometimes… not so much! And this feels like one of those times.

 I guess Denrele called Linda as his friend then Linda couldn’t resist, she put it up *bloggers instinct*.

 Nevertheless it just seemed so cold and thoughtless to me.

 Would I have behaved differently in their shoes? I don’t know. All I know is that sometimes I tell myself if I put half of the gist I am privy to on this blog or at the speed of some other blogs then this blog would have a billion hits by now and yes I might not have any friends left.

 How much is too much publicity on this social media of a matter? You guys tell me.

 May the Lord console Goldie’s people and grant them the fortitude to bear this sad loss Amen.
 For what its worth, my dad is a huge Big Brother fan and he loved Goldie too. Sleep tight dear girl...gone too soon.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...