Friday 30 August 2013

Extraordinary Nigerian Woman: Oluyemisi Wole-Ojomo


 
OLUYEMISI WOLE – OJOMO bagged a first degree in Electronics/ Computer Engineering but today she is a HR professional and a Career Coach. She currently practises HR within the Nigerian banking industry. She began her career in I.T but discovered her passion for helping people maximise their potentials.
 
Hear her:
“I knew I was not on the right career path. I knew I was not going to be fulfilled as an Engineer/ IT professional and I also knew that I was called to do things around people not machines”
After a few years of working in I.T, she moved on to obtain a 2nd degree; an MSc. in Human Resource Management. She became a member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (UK) and these qualifications gave her a leap into the world of  Human Resources from the world of hard core machines. She is involved in a lot of volunteer work with a number
of NGOs. She engages in public speaking initiatives on Career guidance, progression and development targeted at school children and job seekers and she does part time work with L.E.A.R.N which is the pet project of the Lagos State First Lady in addition to HR advisory for companies 
I detect a passion for machines still lies in the 30 something year old because she says given a chance to choose another career she would choose Professional Car Racing in the United States…Lol!
Her word of encouragement to other ladies who would love to walk in her steps:
“I started my first job with a bank and because of my educational background; I was drafted into the IT department of the bank. For about 4 years I did this job but I had my eyes on HR. I often went to the HR department of the bank to help them do the most mundane things just because I wanted to be in that environment.
About 4 years into my stay in the bank, I had gathered enough money to go abroad for my Masters degree in Human Resource Management. I did not allow the negative advice of some of my colleagues back then to deter me from my goal; I took the bull by the horn, resigned my job and went off to obtain this qualification and others so that I could have a launching pad for my career change.
After a few years abroad, I returned back home to seek for employment. This didn’t come immediately but I stayed focused despite the fact that I got job opportunities to do other things and even a good opportunity to return back to IT but I refused; I was determined, it was HR or nothing.
Then I got a job but it came with a big pay cut but I didn’t mind; I saw it as an opportunity to launch myself into my new career path rather than a “demotion”. Today, that sacrifice has paid off.
My counsel to that woman who is thinking of a career change will be –
§  Keep your eye on the goal; do not lose focus
§  Get the required qualification (if necessary) for your new career choice
§  Get experience even if it comes with a pay cut or it is a volunteer job
§  Above all, look to God for divine direction and counsel.”
Let’s hear it for yet another Extraordinary Nigerian Woman… Oluyemisi Wole-Ojomo.
Please keep the flag flying maam.


8 comments:

  1. Nice one sis Chigo. Weldone Mrs Yemisi Wole-Ojomo. Your are indeed a source of inspiration to me and to lots of other women at large. More grease to your elbow. Cudos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's still much more for you Mrs. Oluyemisi Wole-Ojomo!keep pressing on! Upward and Forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation mrs yemisi wole ojomo.u are really an extraordinary nigerian woman.God keep u for many generations to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Yemso! Just read ur interview. It was inspiring. More grease to ur elbow. The BEST is yet to come.(y) (*)-Sola O

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am inspired. I long to be an HR practitioner,I am certified but still in a non HR department.

    A mentor encouraged I begin free consultation for small scale businesses for a start. I am venturing into that till I eventually. ..

    weldone @oluyemisi wole-ojomo

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is just what I was thinking of whole day.....I came to work today, n im not @ work. My mind is set for the change. thanks Ma. its a confirmation for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...