Thursday 5 September 2013

My SHOPRITE Encounter.... Pls share your thoughts




Hailed a cab earlier today at Shoprite gate within the premises.

 Got into the cab, then cab driver went to  make a U-turn.

On getting back to the gate area, a plain clothes police officer stopped the cab guy and asked him to park.

Your typical "you are in trouble" scene.
His crime was that he picked me inside Shoprite premises and blocked the road while at it.

It was getting late, like 7'ish'. The fine was 5k but of course the endless begging began. I stayed with him to beg and yes I was tempted to flee and hail another cab outside the premises of course (now wiser)...in fact I eventually did because I felt maybe they would let him go if they saw he lost his customer....(the policeman went to pray)..... but then he ran after me and called me to please stay with him...and then I came back despite the ticking clock and darkening sky.

Finally they showed him mercy, didn't collect a dime from him. He had asked me to borrow him 1k out of the future cab fare to use to beg the police man. (Come to think of it, it is possible he had 1k but wanted me to suffer with him). Anyway I gave him.

When we got back into the car, he told me after much thinking (cos it came out more like a confession) that the policeman did not collect the 1k from him anymore, so he let him go for free. I rejoiced with him and told him to show mercy to others in future as he had been shown.

This is the short version of the story but I learnt something about myself today....I can be nice, kind hearted and benevolent.

A 100 cabs around and I chose to wait for this guy. Did I really have to? What would you have done if you were in my shoes?

Remember I stopped him inside Shoprite and I didn't know that was a "crime". This is different from probably you were in a taxi and the driver was parked for not having his license or complete documents....which is also different from you are in a hurry to the interview of a lifetime and the cab had a flat tyre.

DO share...I would like to know if I was too benevolent, tolerant or gullible or "mumu" in this situation. I really want to know what other people would have done in my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...